Sunday, December 16, 2012

You will be judged the second you walk into a room.


                  I saw something this morning that made me think a little too hard with my first cup of coffee but couldn’t be further from the truth. It read...”they say to be yourself, and then they judge you.” How many times do we tell our children to be themselves? If you’re like me you say this to your kids constantly and you mean it but the reality of society is judgment comes no matter what.  We even remind ourselves all the time not to judge and then we do it, even if we don’t want to admit it.

                We judge each other by appearance, financial class, parenting, religion, race, political views, and neurological differences. There is more but those are the main categories that come to mind right now. When I was a kid I was constantly questioning everything about the world and the people in it. I fought desperately to not be a social drone, mostly because I was socially awkward and embracing it was easier than fighting it. I found if I looked as out of place as I felt no one questioned it, except for my parents of course and they had many more reasons for concern than my desire to embrace different. I remember a day my mom was very frustrated with my clothing selection and really this was everyday but she didn’t always say anything to me about it.

                On this day she said to me, “Jenn, no matter what you decide to do with yourself in life or how you choose to look, people will judge you the second you walk in the room.”

                I was a teenager so of course I didn’t listen, I never did, but her statement actually never left my mind. As a kid you don’t want to believe this so you hang on to the notion people are truly looking past all of those outside elements searching for your personality. Over time my mom’s words began to ring true over and over again. Not as a kid by the way but traveling into the adult years of life. I actually don’t remember being judged as a kid other than by adults.

                As an adult I realized a quiet personality sometimes meant that people thought I was dumb and still do. Being overweight means you are unhealthy and being skinny means you are healthy, not true by the way. I am skinny and I know plenty of people of struggle with weight who could run circles around me and I have no doubt will live longer. Going to church on Sunday makes you a bible thumper and going to a bar on Friday night makes you a drunk.  If you live in suburbia you must have a nice family and if you live in a trailer park, you must be trashy. There are so many more I could point out because the judgment list goes on and on and when I sit back and think of all these things it actually never ends.

                When we tell our children to be themselves we mean it and we want them to be comfortable with who they are no matter what but at the same time my mom’s words over 20 years ago are dead on as I got older. It’s interesting with my son being different from other kids because when we go places I do see the looks on people’s faces in regard to his difference but I can’t think of one time another child gave him a look or a child judged me as his parent. In fact kids will just flat out ask why or carry on with what they are doing. Most of the time they don’t even notice Phillip is different and still engage with him as they would any other child.

                Kids really are looking for each other’s personality even through all the differences they have. We aren’t born judging each other but we sure do teach it, perfect it, deny it, and practice it often as adults. How difficult it must be for kids to take the advice of so many adults who really should be taking the silent advice we can see in them if we pay attention. On that note, try living just one day with absolutely no judgment towards anyone. You might find it’s much harder than you think and if you are successful you are an extreme asset to the human race and I wish we could all embrace that ability, or should I say hang onto it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment