Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Parenthood Gestapo strikes again!


               As much human nature makes me ill sometimes there are so many times it makes me laugh. Today Phillip and I made our first trip to the post office which I knew was a potential challenge simply because there would a line to stand in. Phillip doesn’t do lines and I mean he really lacks the ability to stand still in that kind of order and be patient. It’s one of the things I am hoping the autism center will help us with although if they have an answer to this little conflict I will be shocked. At this point it feels like it’s going to take time and some maturity to grasp. 

                So we walk in and sure enough there is a line of maybe ten people and being I am trained, I survey the room immediately. Looking for two things and the first was if he could get out. The answer to that was no and it was a room small enough I could still see him no matter what. Second was if he is free to roam can he dismantle anything and again the answer to that was no. Off he went and I stood in line watching to be sure all he was going to do was run a bit. That is exactly what he did and was talking his own little Phillip language while he investigated every corner of the room. He was paying no mind to people because that is his last interest in a new environment to explore. He was also no more than ten ft from me at all times which I considered a safe distance with no dangers in site.

                That’s when I felt it…the eyes of judgment beating down on me like the parenthood Gestapo. I am used to this and it’s just part of life. I did think in a bigger area Phillip would blend in a bit more as I hoped autism awareness was more prevalent but it’s not. A lovely couple ahead of me offered to hold my place in line while I gathered my unruly child. I declined and thanked them explaining that if I can see him he is fine with no way out. The look of shock on their faces was a quick one but what I really wanted to say was….then what? Yes I could scoop him up and demand he stay in line like an obedient three year old should but I knew the judgment would grow much harsher from simply trying to get him to stand still. At one point I could see from the corner of my eye an older women actually lean forward to get a good look at the mother who was allowing this behavior to continue. I turned and smiled at her which she returned to be polite.

                Phillip wasn’t doing anything wrong I have to add. He hadn’t touched one display or caused any problems. He was simply just walking around making noise with a smile on his face and laughing at himself. I would say he was being a very good boy for his first trip there and having to wait but society always has an idea of how we all should do things. If we aren’t keeping the order of social expectations you stand out in a way some people don’t like or it just makes them uncomfortable. Soon a group of three was watching him and one of them covered her mouth and whispered to another. The talk went down the line and I had no idea what they said to each other but I did know it pertained to my son.  Could have been good and could have been bad and it doesn’t matter.

                Whenever a situation like this comes up Phillip becomes my mentor. With all the eyes coming down on him and the whispers being tossed around, he remains totally unfazed by how unintentionally rude people can be. I am told this is something about him that needs to be fixed and I can’t even force myself to agree with that.

                He was laughing, jumping around, and smiling with that social miss autism can have but at the same time I am so very grateful he missed it. Whatever was going through his mind in that room was so much healthier and inspiring then the socially intact Gestapo that was waiting for me to create the order expected. So why does this make me laugh instead of cry? Simple really….it was a room full of people who could have learned a lot from a boy who could have cared less what they thought. After all he and I were the only ones smiling and it wasn’t to be socially polite because we were smiling at each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment