Saturday, December 22, 2012

The isolation of an autism parent


                Isolation of the autism parent is a topic that came up today on facebook and yesterday I actually did sit down to write about this with a blank mind. Today I decided this is a very important topic so others can understand, at least in our case, why we tend to isolate. I have grown used to being somewhat isolated at home but that doesn’t mean I enjoy it day in and day out.

                When I am invited somewhere I tend to ask myself three questions. Is the situation something Phillip can tolerate even for a bit? Will there be a large crowd and is there an escape route? Meaning if Phillip begins a meltdown can I remove him from what has overwhelmed him quickly because once he is all in, I have no power to help him. I suppose I could skip thinking about these things and just jump in and see what happens but there has been so many times we have ended up in a public place completely overwhelmed and no way to escape, with an audience building. That is a very difficult place to be and we avoid it if we can. Unfortunately avoiding it does lead to isolation.

                I think many people understand this element of raising an autistic child and public outings but then there are the times I get invited to go somewhere and I would have to leave Phillip with someone else. I can do that for a short time but overnight is out of the question. Last night a trip to New Zealand came up and I was invited. Only a crazy person would decline an invitation like that but I had no choice but to say no.

                The routine for my son is important and yes the routine changes. We just moved very far from what he knew and he has adjusted well but there has also been a key element in the move that stayed the same….me. For the most part I can read his physical cues so meeting his needs is not impossible but this has come with being with him every day. Sometimes even family members who are around him all the time have a difficult time and honestly I can’t say I always know what he wants. No matter how many changes were to come his way having the routine of me there with him, even during hard times, helps to ease him and get back on track. If I were to take off for a vacation or overnight adventure his line of communication and routine is broken. The impact is not one I want to discover at this point in his life. This can be viewed as paranoid or coddling my son or even a lack of trust in who could care for him but it is none of those things.

                I trust every person in my life to care for my son and know he would be safe and loved, but at the same time there is a processing limit he has. I can see the signals that he is reaching that limit and know when it’s time to go and get back to the isolation we have grown used to. His routine is not something I could write instructions for and take off because many things are signals and processing elements tossed in with lack of communication and the simple fact of being a strong willed three year old.

                That being said, it would be cruel to take off for a New Zealand adventure just because I want to. Cruel to him and cruel to the brave soul who stepped up to care for him because the routine is not just a dictated order, it’s a daily connection with each other. This connection is one reason I shake my head every time I hear someone say autism doesn’t build emotional connections. I can say from three years of daily interaction my son’s emotional connection and attachment is so strong it’s nearly impossible to put into words others can understand.

                For those who invite an autism parent somewhere and they decline or leave early it may be a bit more complicated than it appears to be and for those who have had to decline or leave early, the adventures will come. For now try to remember the ability to understand your child like no other is an adventure beyond words that many people wouldn’t have the bravery to jump into with love and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment