Thursday, December 13, 2012

The fun parent pulled it off and glad to be fun again.

     For the last three days I have been down for the count with the same stomach virus Phillip caught last week. Daddy had to really step up his game to help out and thank God for it! I literally could not stay awake for more than an hour at a time and when I was awake if felt like a vice was squeezing my head. I was totally worthless in every way. This doesn't happen often but when it does, it is a drastic change.

     Part of Phillips routine is mom so when mom is out of commission he has to find a way to rely on dad and his brain gets a bit frustrated. Dad does pretty good by the way but wants to appease him just a bit to much. Sometimes you just can't appease the little man and you have to get up and walk away. Phillip is used to dad being the fun parent and not the enforcer. You could easily say dad is used to this routine as well and likes it that way. Who wouldn't?

     Day two I made a joke to dad and said to him, "how do you know I am not just faking it to lay on the couch and do nothing?". Dad actually did give me a second glance on that one. I have to admit even though I felt like road kill I secretly enjoyed listening to the role reversal. For one it's a reality check for dad that being the fun parent really is much easier to do and for two the begging me to feel better is a sure sign I have made being the enforcer look easy. Feels like a sadistic pat on the back from life (cue evil villain laugh).

     Day three I finally went up to take a bath and wash off what my family was so kind not to mention and it seemed as though dad and Phillip had become totally in sync. My sadistic pat on the back from life had become irrelevant. That is until dad had to go to the grocery store and I asked if he as taking Phillip with him. The look on his face completely priceless at the thought of taking him with him because we all know what happens to Phillip upon entry of a grocery store and mom had just gone to far on that one.

    Today I am back to full health and the order of fun parent and enforcer has been restored. Daddy pulled it off with only a few bumps in the road and now gets to go back to being what he is best at, being fun. Mommy gets to get back to being the enforcer and unfortunately I didn't get my chance to be fun because I was to dang sick to take on that role. I did get enough sleep to last at least a week and even though I felt like I was on my death bed, knowing daddy can pull it off is a good feeling. On that note my heart goes out to those super strong mommies and daddies who are doing it all alone. How they do it can only be explained by some kind of super power that kicks in when needed. Dad goes back to Alaska in just a couple weeks for his three month stay and boy am I lucky I have only been this sick when he has been in the lower 48 to help out. Not so sure daddy would agree with me on this being lucky but I do know he is probably praying my health stays in tact for at least two more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment