Thursday, December 6, 2012

It's been a day!


                 It has been day! One of those days you want fire up the non family car that just sits in the garage and drive off for a while. Today I had to take my big kids to the DMV for ID’s to fly to their dads for the holiday. Not something I was looking forward to as I know all too well the DMV line in a big city is a very long process but a must. By noon I had already lost a bit of patience when I opened the fridge to an empty orange juice jug and someone opened a box of yogurt and left the cardboard next to the box. The garbage is simply two feet from the fridge so both of these things irritated me. Then my phone rang and when I picked it up and put it to my ear I realized my phone had been dropped in butter and at this point my ear was slimed. Again, the paper towels within reach.

                When the kids walked in the door arguing came with them along with name calling. Then Nick and my daughter began to hoarse play and sometimes between the two of them the noise can get to be a bit much. Even Phillip at this point was yelling shut up, another thing I am not too happy about. The noise bothers him and no matter how many times I say it, it never seems to sink in. I also did not teach him this shut up tactic so when my child who barely talks yells this, it bothers me.

                Nick decided he wanted to get out of the house so that meant we were going to the DMV as a family…yeah. I knew this was not the best idea but what could I do, tell him to stay home? At the DMV Phillip went into meltdown right away, I saw that coming so Nick took him out of the building. We waited and waited and waited only to be told an hour later we needed to come back with certified birth certificates because the stack of proof of identity was not sufficient. Saw that one coming to.

                Get in the van and see Phillip has a tootsie pop and I don’t make too big of a stink even though I know sugar in that form is very bad for the rest of the day. Dad had taken him into a sports store and they gave him a free sucker. I typically refuse this but dad doesn’t always understand why I do this. Again the teenagers begin to fight about who doesn’t want to sit in the back of the van. At this point I could have strapped them to the roof but they have both outgrown me so not an option. On the drive home the projectile vomit begins just a block from home, so I keep driving knowing the smell is about to hit like a title wave. The only thing I can hear is Phillip vomiting and my oldest son saying to my daughter...”bet ya don’t want this seat now!” while he is slowly making his way to the front door with the house keys. When a child is projectile vomiting, slow should not be an issue, ever.

                We are home and Phillip quickly taken to the bath while dad takes apart the car seat to be washed. This is when I realize none of clean towels are upstairs because no one has bothered to take their dirty clothes down to the wash. Once again, I do it and you can probably tell the, I do it part is weighing on me. We are now sitting on the couch that Phillip did manage to vomit on earlier and he is slowly closing his eyes. My fear is dehydration because he is thin this happens quickly and he does not understand we need to prevent this. Last time this happened we spent the night in the hospital with an IV in his arm.

                Although I love being a mom and taking care of my family, I do have days I wouldn’t mind driving off even for a bit in a fast car with the music up and no one to take care of. Moms can easily loose themselves in the job and from time to time you want to wash off the vomit and spend some time on just yourself. No phone ringing asking where you are or how long you will be. No house to clean and people to serve. No laundry to do, dinner to make and no complaints from the people you spend your days making comfortable in this life. Then again…where would I go and what would I do? It wouldn’t take me but the end of the block to call home and make sure everyone is still ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment