Sunday, September 2, 2012

What I love about autism....Yes, LOVE!

 
                 Today I am digging into what I love about autism. The reason is simple, it’s easy to hear the complaints, challenges, and frustrations about this topic but there is so much to love I can’t ignore it and I don’t want others to think it doesn’t exist. There is one very important aspect of autism that I am very thankful for.
                This is a picture of my son and to someone else it simply looks like a picture of a boy playing in rocks. There is much more to this picture and it’s not just a boy distracted by rocks. In fact I am not even sure distracted would be the right word. Intrigued seems more appropriate because once he stepped on these rocks he heard the sound they made from his feet connecting and the rocks moving. He felt the difference between solid ground and the movement of the rocks. He could see there was hundreds of them and took time to inspect them. He could see each one was a bit different and when he moved his foot through them he could feel the way they engulfed his foot. Once he was done moving his feet through them he used his hands to feel the textures and tossed them to hear the sound when they landed.
                What one person may see as distracted I see as an intense interest in every detail of the smallest things we ignore while we go about our days. If I removed him too quickly he would protest, not because he is a “brat” but because he wasn’t given the time to investigate. Once he is able to inspect the situation he is content to leave. I absolutely love this about his difference! To many times it would be considered odd, but what’s odd to me is a mind that needs to inspect, learn, and soak in every detail is considered flawed.
                I love watching my son do these things and it happens nearly every day. No matter how many times we go outside he finds something new to carefully inspect and figure out. A rock, texture of dirt, bark on a tree, the feeling of grass, or how to manipulate the movement of water on a hot day. These are just a few things I know he sees but I also know there is much more my mind can’t keep up with and he isn’t able to tell me about yet.  The average person doesn’t pay attention to any of this because we are so wrapped up in the social world we don’t even see the fine points that are passing us by.
                Every day my son with autism reminds me to live in a way that doesn’t miss the details. That in the madness of man there are things all around us we are missing because our average minds overlook them. Every time I hear the word autism I think about this and how it has expanded my view on life for the better. How it has given me the reality check I needed to slow down and stop getting so caught up in the foolishness of life. I notice everything now, because in order to keep up with him I have to do what I can to see the world the way he does. I have a really hard time considering this a disability although I know that is what it is considered.
                Step outside and feel the wind hit your face and the sun warm you up with its bright light. Notice the branches on the trees move and a bird fly by. Feel the ground under your feet and how the feeling changes with different textures. Hear the sounds all around you and the smells that change everywhere you go. Then ask yourself if this way of seeing the world is a disability or a reminder of the tiny details we let pass us by while we are checking our text messages and trying to keep up with the madness of man.

No comments:

Post a Comment