Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Martyr Syndrome! The only cure is early intervention.


                    I am going somewhere today I didn’t want to go but it is making me so crazy I just have to. The martyr parent is just too destructive to ignore. You probably know one or possibly are one and this is a big problem for kids with a difference. So many times I have read stories or come across a parent who is at odds with an issue they are having with a child and yes I completely empathize but many times I am left with a dumb founded look on my face. The martyr parent is the one who uses the difference, no matter what it may be to create pity for them and sometimes they don’t even know they are doing it.

                    Some time ago I came across a picture someone posted of a wound their child had given them and it stated “I hate autism”. I was frustrated with that message because it also stated the child never behaves that way with anyone else. Only towards the parent and only when he or she doesn’t get there way. To me this translated as a choice and control the child was actually showing and I couldn’t understand the picture being posted with extreme hatred towards the difference. That makes people want to run away from learning about the difference.

                Or there is the story recently being blasted around the internet of the boy at school whose parents hadn’t paid the lunch bill so he went without lunch. I reposted that story basically because I thought it was odd the parents weren’t called earlier in the day to either pay the bill or bring a lunch. Notifying the parents of their policies before the child had to skip lunch. What also bothered me about the story was if the child wasn’t autistic would it still be internet blasting worthy? No. People would simply say pay your lunch bill but if you throw autism in the mix it’s a human rights issue. This doesn’t just happen to autistic kids and yes he should have been fed but what about the bill? Why does autism over shadow how the problem came about? It’s pretty clear mom and dad didn’t forget to pay the internet bill but because it involved autism the mistakes by both school and parents fade away. Then you have a child stuck in the middle of adults who all screwed up and he was hungry.

                If we want autism to be understood we have to stop the martyr syndrome that is affecting so many people. All of sudden the word autism alone makes people want to turn and run. They don’t want to hear complaining or a plea for pity. They want to hear what autism is and how it operates. If we focus on the negative no one is going to stick around long enough to learn the positives. The hardest job anyone will ever face is parenting, that is if they are working to be a good parent and yes autism creates some complicated challenges. I have three kids and completely changing the way I parent is like walking around in the dark all day. I have to find my way to the light switch so I can see and I do run into walls all the time. I can say this way of parenting is kind of exciting and this might come as a surprise but is also fun! I never get to stop thinking and I like it. A vacation would be nice but if I didn’t take my kids with me I would be bored to death. Everyone is guilty of the martyr syndrome at some point and Lord knows I am one of those people to. You could probably find it my blog a few times or more, but we have to stop this madness or it’s going to become a negative side effect of an already complicated difference. Don’t be a martyr! Our children need us to be a positive voice for them and help others want to learn.

                The martyr syndrome is contagious so watch out for it because once it takes hold the only cure is to know that you’ve caught it and early intervention!

No comments:

Post a Comment