Friday, September 28, 2012

Top 10 Not So Stupid Questions.


                 We are preparing to move back to my hometown and it is much bigger than our current location. Basically we have no options for our son to get an education we are happy with here and honestly the older kids are in need of better education and options as well. This is going to be a huge change for all of us in every way but a positive one.

                There are so many worries that go through my mind all of which are centered on my kids. We will be in an area with an actual autism center for Phillip and so much more for the older kids to experience. Also we will now have family to help out when needed and to just be a bigger part of our lives. A long overdue change!

                Now I have to begin thinking about schools for Phillip and how I will know he is going to the right place. Problem is, I won’t really know for sure until he begins. I know all of the Jr highs and high schools but a special education program is completely new to me. The one thing I worry about is how my son will treated like so many other people right now. The horrors are endless and I want to feel confident in the choices we make for him. Of course in the beginning of those horror stories other parents felt confident to. What can I do to feel I have done all I can? All that really comes to mind is questions, tons and tons of questions.

                The old saying “there is no such thing as a stupid question” is going to have to be exactly what I practice no matter what. Here is a list of questions that come to my mind at this point and I know I will come up with more.  New parents to autism tend to feel a bit defeated and with so much information coming at you, questions seem to fade away. With all the madness in the world and stories we see every day about kids being treated badly we have a right to ask any question under the sun. A caregiver or school should be totally willing to answer and be glad you asked.

1.       Has anyone who works for here, ever been accused of harming a child in another school or this one?

2.       When a challenge occurs at what point will you call me?

3.       Do you have clear understanding that every child with autism that walks in the door is not like the last child you encountered?

4.       Will you call me or speak with me right away when my son appears to be showing stress?

5.       Do you restrain your students?

6.       Do you have a seclusion room?

7.       Have you ever called the police on a student and if so, why?

8.       Have you ever left a student alone for extended periods of time? If so, why?

9.       How do you handle a bully situation?

10.   Do you understand even if my child appears to be tuned out, he hears and feels everything around him?
            So there is my top ten questions to begin with and when you consider the outcome of not knowing the answers to some of these questions, they are far from stupid. They are important and they should be answered before they have to be explained after something is handled completely wrong.  I will be praying when I find a school for my child, they will not only answer my questions but have all the right answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment