Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I must see these little autistic mice!


                 Every day I log on to facebook and there is a tidal wave of autism information rolling in. Inspiration, personal stories, new articles on causes, and ways to raise awareness.  Of course I am connected to all these things by choice so I asked for that tidal wave and it keeps me informed. I like to know the opinions out there and read different perspectives.

                What I see in a lot of the articles I come across is a very negative tone towards autism. Speculation as to why some kids have it, how its growing so quickly in society and it sets a ridiculous tone that autistics are mutants. Really no other way I can think of to describe some of these things I come across. When I am done reading some of them I feel like the mother of the Wolverine from X-men trying to protect him from a world full of fear trying to cure him. Yes, you will see autism described as a genetic mutation all the time and to me it sets a nasty tone. I prefer the words genetic evolution myself because it takes the mutant label off my child. I especially find the articles with mice involved entertaining because an autistic mouse would be something to see!

                I am ADD, a neurological difference, which is how I see autism as well but I have never heard anyone say ADD is a mutation. If it is then I guess I am the mother mutant and my child would be second generation mutant.  It is exhausting, every word of it, and ridiculous in so many ways.

                Seems to me society has decided if they can’t understand it they must find a way to correct it even if understanding would be a much easier process. The millions if not billions of dollars spent to fix people couldn’t possibly benefit them in a educational environment or educating adults to work with autism because we all know there is a desperate need for that. I haven’t communicated with any autistic adults who are sitting around waiting to be cured and children don’t understand the world doesn’t understand them…yet. Autism is constantly quoted right alongside schizophrenia which is a very old and worn out connection that has actually been tossed out as a connection at all. A mistake from way back in history is how that all came about, and fueled by a lack of understanding.

                Here is my plea to all the writers and researchers involved in autism. Leave schizophrenia out of it unless you are discussing the misunderstood history of the difference. Please keep in mind when you write you may have an autistic audience and protective parents reading your words. Make sure your words are directed in a positive way because some folks won’t settle for less. If you could kindly leave rodents out of the matter or even better, please clarify what an autistic rodent is like that would also be appreciated, because every time I read an article like that I am intrigued by these little autistic mice.  For the love of God can we please go easy on the mutation talk unless that is in fact 100% what autism has proven to be and it hasn’t. Last but not least for writers and readers, please remember there are people who are not angry about having autism. Adults and children who want to be treated with respect and some of these articles really do cause harm to how the difference is depicted in society.  

                At this point I think many people are so run down from “suggested” studies, lack of information, false information, and reach up and pull it out of your backside theories we or I am getting slightly fed up with acceptance and understanding being overlooked. The entire reason I began this blog was so my son would not be looked at as flawed or in need of fixing and I will not stop. Maybe one day in our adventure I will get to see these little autistic mice and then I will have seen it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment