Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Stupid Awesome Day...


                Today I am officially running on pure exhaustion. Thank God for mommy adrenaline and simple fact I have no option but to keep doing what I do. Maybe that is one thing I really love about being a mom, you can’t get out of it! It’s full time, nonstop and action packed, the perfect job for me. I can’t get bored, I have no idea who is going to say what, at least one of the kids shocks me on a daily basis one way or another, and I get to watch them decide what they want to be in this crazy world and how they will go about doing it. To me one of the greatest rewards as a parent is seeing the changes over the years take place. The good changes make you extremely proud and even how they handle the not so good changes give you a rewarding sense of pride.

                While the older kids are teenagers I still try to make a daily impact if I can that still makes me feel like mom is necessary for more than a ride and a few dollars. This is not easy because the reality is some days that really is the only reason they need me.

                I bought a white board for my toddler thinking the instant erase and start over tactic would hold his attention. I have learned with the twist of autism, you can think all you want to and it still only has a 50/50 chance of being affective.  This idea was not effective so, I turned it into a positive board that I write a positive message on to keep spirits up. Maybe teenagers won’t listen when you want them to, but a bright sign on the wall can’t go totally ignored. Before school began I wrote on the board to have a fantastic awesome day and keep a smile on. Just before bed I noticed my positive sign had been tampered with.

                Someone has changed fantastic to stupid and smile to frown. I asked both kids who had put the negativity on my positive board and come to find out they both took part in mucking up my inspiring words. Both kids thought it was funny and couldn’t help but blame each other. Of course I gave a joking mom lecture about staying positive and keep the nasty negativity off the happy board. Both kids were laughing and off to bed. As I was walking down the hall I told them both to have a stupid awesome day at school. Little did they know the joke was on them in their attempt to oppress my happy white board.

                I sat down with a smile on my face because I knew they had to read it before they changed it and the simple fact they worked together.

                Impact for the day? Check!  Mom is still necessary? Check! Mom’s parental reward? Big solid check!

No comments:

Post a Comment