Monday, September 10, 2012

Common sense, Pesticides, and GMO's

http://www.kidsforsavingearth.org/mnchec/articles/pesticides.htm


               There is some debate lately about the safety of foods treated with pesticides and if organic is really more beneficial. First off I don’t believe anything caused my own sons autism but genetics but I also don’t believe that is the case for everyone. I can say I do really have days I am not 100% set on genetics myself as to a cause for my own child. It can be an emotional roller coaster and I have just accepted the difference as something given to our lives for a reason I do find the beauty in it every day.

  Autism aside if we really step back and take a look at the direction of health in our society we are in a major crisis. It’s not as simple as blaming McDonalds for creating the Super Size option or our desire to have everything instantly including our food. Take a good look around at people in general and you will see the crisis happening all around you.

                Who is to blame? For one, ourselves and there really is clear evidence linked to the negative effects to what we consume. Above is a link and it’s an older link but some clear info on pesticide effects on our bodies and children’s bodies. Keep in mind these studies were done in regard to pesticides being used IN the environment. Now consider it is being genetically built into our food so instead of being in the air, in a water supply, or on our food, it’s genetically part of it. Giving it a direct way into our system disguised as something we believe to be healthy.

                The information we lack that would really set it into the mind of the general population is a study that clearly defines what will happen to you if you consume genetically altered food, and altered to destroy pests from the inside out, on a daily basis over a long period of time. No healthy person is going to step up and say, I would like to consume pesticide soaked food for a few years and have my health tracked so we have a clear study. No healthy sane person would do this because common sense tells us that person could be offering to take on something that they may not recover from. So we have to rely on bits and pieces of evidence gathered over time from different sources and our own common sense.

                Food awareness has become very important to me and not just because of what I have learned after days and days of research to learn about autism, but because when I look around in society it seems like the evidence is all around us. No one is bionic and the human body is built to break down with time, but could it be we are making the process faster and more painful just by ignoring the effects of what we consume? If we somehow changed our mindset that it’s just small doses so it won’t harm us or the thought that if it is on the shelf and says healthy it must be, would we see the health of our society start to improve? Now that is a study I would love to see happen. Totally unrealistic but I am an unrealistically optimistic person most of the time. I am no doctor or Harvard graduate but I am a mom with common sense who has changed her lifestyle to organic and aware…..and I can feel the positive effects every day since.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment