Saturday, February 9, 2013

Well behaved kids discount, and a ton of judgment.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/discount-for-families-with-well-behaved-kids-190466431.html


               This is a story that came up on our late night local news last night and typically I skip the news these days but this one caught my attention. At first I felt a bit irritated but I wasn’t sure if I was just feeling sorry for myself or maybe my feelings were a bit more legit than I was giving them credit for. You see we don’t eat at sit down restaurants if it can be avoided. There have been a few times we have and it is a constant struggle to keep our son in one place. I would never say he is bad but that doesn’t mean the opinion around us sees it the same way.

                If you read many of the comments attached to the article you will find the judgment parents face on this issue. You will see a mention of a charge for bratty kids and how well behaved kids at a restaurant is a sign of a “good parent” and so many more comments that cause a stir in my mind. I know people judge quickly when my son runs or can’t seem to be still for a short time but the thought people could think a parent who faces this struggle is not a good parent makes my stomach actually hurt with sadness. If being a good parent consists of making sure everyone else in the room is undisturbed, well then why am I trying so hard to raise kids who have morals, understanding, individual thought, care, a sense of others and the ability to be happy?  Apparently I have been killing myself to raise my children to best of my ability when all it really takes is to not bother anyone. Who knew!

                It’s nice of the restaurant to have given the parents something to smile about and proud of no doubt about it, but at the same time how exactly does one earn a well behaved discount? Maybe I bring my son in for a try at a sit down meal and he makes it for a bit but the food has taken forever to get there, huge problem by the way with a child who has extreme energy. Maybe he is beginning to climb out of his seat to explore because that is a given no matter what and one of us has to wrestle him outside just so the other person can pretend to enjoy the meal, possibly left at the table alone. I could create a ton of scenarios that people would see as disqualified but sometimes just getting in and out without a meltdown is actually being well behaved and a success.

                I am going to climb out of the classy bubble I try to stay in today and say to those who think they know what a good parent is, you are narrow minded, foolish, rude, judgmental to an unhealthy level, and your head is to deeply implanted into your backside to see it. No parent on earth has such a perfect tactic towards parenting total strangers can see how good at it they are. Yes, parents find success but they had to battle through things that didn’t work to find it in the first place. Something has to occur in the form of a struggle to find something that works and in no way is that limited to children with autism. Autism parents just tend to face not so typical struggles and have to find not so typical tactics which take time, a lot of time. We have to be able to get through the door in the first place to see what needs help and let me tell you it could be the day a new challenge sets in while we are trying like hell to figure out the ones already in place.  What works for one child might not work at all for the next and considering 1in 88 children have autism that means 1 in 88 children might require a completely different approach to simply get through a meal.

                At first I felt eating at this restaurant was out of the question but now I am beginning to think a little dose of autism might be good for this establishment. Maybe we will venture out one day to eat there but you can be sure I will be printing this blog out and leaving it on the table when we do. Maybe we will even get the well behaved child discount, but I have my doubts no matter how well my child behaves. Even though there are people in this world with their head stuffed up there backside that are also people who are willing to help pull it out, that’s if they would like some help because I would have disturb them a bit to make that happen.

               

 

No comments:

Post a Comment