Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The evolution of an autism mom.


              We are coming up on a year since our son was diagnosed with Autism. I can think back to even before that day to so many ways I have evolved as a parent, person, and even my opinions and get a little overwhelmed myself to all the changes. I began to learn about autism shortly after my son regressed with that dang vaccine pile up he received even though it was never something mentioned. I learned so much I knew nothing about and started awareness before he was diagnosed. Maybe because I saw it coming and because I was blown away by how clueless I was and the struggles people face.

                At first I felt I was raising awareness for others just because I cared or at least that’s what I told myself while my son stopped talking and interacting. This was my not us faze of the evolution and I was still trying to convince myself he was going to just snap out of it like everyone was telling me. I could see it and I knew it after, all why would I spend hours researching autism if a part of me didn’t know the truth. I like to think I am a good person but lack of sleep and anxiety wasn’t something I would have invited into my life if I didn’t know I would be affected.

                Then came reality and knowing this was not just going away. The reality of taking him to the doctor and bursting into tears when someone else finally said the word autism to me. I had been carrying that word around in my mind for months and it was now out in the open. That was when life kicked me in the gut hard enough to get my full attention. Yet even then we held off on getting him diagnosed and looking back I have no idea why we still tried to deny it. Just a little more time is all he needs was the thought and what a silly one because really we where wasting time hoping it would do us a favor. This was the Us but Not Yet stage of the evolution.

                Jump forward to the diagnosis and we are now in the, ok it’s happened to use stage. All the paperwork and new faces along with therapists put us in the mind set we had an army of help for our son. Big sigh of relief that all these wonderful people were going to help us move forward right? Not exactly because in all of that I was slowly starting to question these people and if they really knew what they were doing. The day came our always hours late advocate came over with visual aids and a special education timer. That was also the day I explained to him I was locked out of a speech therapy room only to be met with a nice inspirational talk about how I am mourning my son. How I bought a ticket for Paris and landed in Holland which is nice but not as nice. That was the evolution of a mad mom. The day I got angry and wanted to ask why in hell he thinks I am not in Paris because I didn’t agree. What I heard from that story was, you are disappointed in your child and that literally pissed me off.

                Now we are in the nothing caused his autism, he was just born different stage and although I know now that may not be completely true or have accepted it, at the time I was desperate to hang on to that theory. Maybe because it’s a comfortable one and it took any blame off of me for possibly doing something that pulled the trigger. We are in Paris and the rest of you are in Holland missing all the awesome sites was how I felt and still do to this day. That is one part of the evolution that has not changed and never will. I was trying to convince myself his difference was purely genetic even though there was no evidence of any autism genetics to convince me of that. I even grew a little upset with other people when they would mention causes or vaccines to me. That part is kind of interesting because when someone mentioned vaccines to me I never spoke of the 6 he received that day but the image of it happening always flashed into my mind. Denial at its finest is what I was going through but not complete denial or I would have mentioned that day with pride.

                I then moved on to the wait just a dang minute faze of the evolution. No autism history and although the two smart people get together and create autism theory was a nice one, it was such an ignorant theory I couldn’t settle. We are now in the research like a crazy person and discovery stage. I think looking back I hated this one the most simply because I discovered so many things that are potential dangers to our children and us in nearly everything we eat, touch, and breathe. I also discovered just how entirely ignorant I was even if none of those things had anything to do with autism. I started to think deeper about the rate of autism growing so quickly and how that could possibly be happening so fast to so many. The theories I was told were once again comfortable to hear like doctors being more aware or simple genetics.

                Question everything phase and question it carefully until I felt I understood. More aware doctors didn’t fly because autism isn’t something you can miss. A non verbal child that won’t allow touch or eye contact is a hard thing to overlook. If that’s the case and it was always around with doctors overlooking it then what happened to all the autistics from the past who never received any help? Did 1 in 88 just grow up and be fine without all the necessary treatments we are told an autistic can’t live without? Where did they all go to if that’s the case? If it is simple genetics or not so simple, why are so many of us carrying these genetics and where did they come? Genetics is a hard thing to accept when there is zero genetic history on either side of the gene pool. Genetics are clearly involved but where are the genes coming from?

                On to the there is no answers and it’s time to move on from it all stage. This is when I just knew the answers weren’t going to come in this lifetime and accepted we would never find it no matter how autism came along. The evolution of knowing all the answers to anything I question are right in front of me and as a mother I can with confidence say he will be just fine and I am doing an awesome job at making sure of that. I don’t read articles like I used to looking for clues but now it’s just with interest. I don’t deny the vaccines may have collided with his body in a bad way but I also don’t think vaccines are a bad thing. I don’t think my son’s autism is purely genetic but at the same I know genetics are involved. I won’t stop awareness because we know the numbers are going up and all these kiddos need good programs and good recourses right along with understanding. I m grateful for the evolution over the past year because no one likes to be ignorant, especially me.

                What I am most grateful for is my son, my family, and that all those people who felt we had landed in Holland instead of Paris didn’t get on the same plane we did. Paris is one of the most interesting places to be and I can imagine Holland is a bit disappointing for those who missed our trip to Paris. There is something new and amazing around every corner. Maybe Paris isn’t what we expected but that’s simply because we skipped the typical tour routes most people take and hit our adventure without a map. Maps are created for those who want to follow, not lead and Phillip is leading me everywhere we need to go to get the most out of our adventure.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment