Friday, August 24, 2012

Warning Label! Abilites! Do not Ignore....


               Yesterday was a day of reflection for me. We have plans to move and I have begun to clean out things we don’t need. Along with that comes discovering things you have. My daughter kept me company while I sifted through boxes full of random stuff and my little man played contently in the dirt, without eating it for once.

                Books, pictures, drawings from my older kids when they were little, and lots of memories came flowing back. Some things carried a memory with it but at 35 years old there was no chance I would recall what the memory was. Or we would find something that gave me a small glimpse like a beach would come to mind and an hour later I would remember a family trip the item came from. Thank God for that hour later or it may have driven me crazy trying to recall.

                In the bottom of one box I found a couple of old cassette tapes from very early on in my childhood. My grandmother on my dad’s side would read books and tell stories. She would record herself and send it in the mail. My grandmother was a very powerful source in my life and passed when I was a teenager, a selfish teenager who never took the time to let her know how she impacted my life. I still remember her like it was yesterday. Her kind lap to sit on and listen to stories she had memorized from books and the enthusiasm she would have when she told those stories that would not allow my mind to wander away from the places her stories took me.  To me she had super powers for being able to hold onto my mind the way she did and even though she was stern and didn’t take any guff, she had a nature that made a child feel safe and home. Even if it was just a visit with her I always felt like she gave me a gateway to a world inside books. She encouraged me to write and write a lot and never stop using my imagination. Until my teenage years hit that is exactly what I did because she had shown me it was a way to slow my mind down.

                 I don’t think my grandmother ever knew how she affected me this way. Even when I come across an old book that may be worth holding onto, I have a rule of thumb. If grandma would have encouraged me to read it, it’s worth keeping. She never knew my mind was always running circles and if she would have it wouldn’t have mattered to her. She would have treated me the same way with no excuses.

                I put one of those tapes in my cassette player, and yes I still have one, and there she was. Her enthusiasm and storytelling came right back to me years later. The smile on my face was literally because it was as easy as hearing her voice again to take me back 25 years or more and feel that encouragement all over again. At the same time I looked at my autistic son whose mind is much busier than mine ever was and remembered an important lesson grandma didn’t know she taught me. Every child has unstoppable abilities no matter what obstacles are in the way. They just need a cozy lap to sit on and a quiet voice to help them pull it out and use it. No matter what the world has labeled us with, the ability should never be overlooked.
                What if we lived in a world we didn't label what is considered a flaw and only had labels that gave everyone a warning as to what we are capable of?

No comments:

Post a Comment