Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Wake Up Your Kindess...It's a Powerful force!


                 Today I am sharing a lesson about human kindness and how easily we can distribute it if we want to. My older kids who are not autistic experienced a loss on their dad’s side of the family a couple years ago. A Great Uncle who passed away from cancer.  A Very difficult thing to understand, especially at such a young age. They didn’t know him well but I think when you are so young that can make it even harder to grasp. The family is very close and he was an excellent member of the community in general. If you knew this man you knew the world would never be same without him in it. Although his legacy of kindness would never go away and through his rough exterior helping people came very naturally to him.

                The family had some brightly colored shirts made that said Cancer Sucks on the front. Short and sweet sending a simple statement about how it felt to lose a loved one. My son came home with one of these shirts and wore it to school. A teacher informed him it was offensive and asked him to either take it off or turn it inside out. My son refused and I am sure the teacher considered him to be a defiant punk for not doing as he was told that day. I can say pretty honestly that could be a genetic trait on both sides that also requires an understanding. I patiently waited for the school to call and have me come in to discuss the issue all the while wishing I had an extra Cancer Sucks t-shirt to wear to the meeting. I don’t condone my children being defiant but in this case, I saw it as something that meant the world to him and that mattered to me because I know all too well it’s ok to question authority from time to time. The school never called of course, it wasn’t as offensive as some things I could point out in a building full of teenagers.

                I did tell my son he should do something more active when it comes to Cancer awareness and learn more about how it affects people’s lives. I offered to take him over to the children’s hospital and meet some families affected which I think was a bit of a scary thought to him at the time. At the same time the Relay for Life fundraiser started at the school. My son loves his money! So much so he doesn’t like to put it in the bank because it’s out of site. But one day I noticed his change jar he had been saving for months was empty. I asked him about it and he had decided to donate it all to the cause. You can imagine the smile I had on my face because not only did he stand up for what he believed he did something to make an impact. He may not have known exactly how much money was in there as it was a fair amount for a young kid, but he didn’t care. Soon that defiant kid who refused to turn his shirt inside out was getting smiles and Atta boys from the authority figures at school.

                Moral of the story, it is just that easy to do something. Even if what matters to you means you have to stand up to people who truly don’t understand how you feel. My son took a risk that day by refusing to listen. He could have gotten in trouble at school and at home because he didn’t know how I would feel about his stance. Typically if he gets in trouble at school he is in trouble at home.
                There are so many lessons that can be learned from the kindness of children we just forget as we get older and get wrapped up in the world. Everyone is born kind but time seems to put it to sleep. Wake up your kindness and give it some exercise!  Stand up for what matters to you and it doesn’t directly have to affect you. The money donated by my son in no way was a benefit to him. He gave it up and never saw it again and has no idea who or how it helped anyone. It doesn’t matter either because he just wanted to do something, and he did. Make a difference and it doesn’t have to be money to do it. Kindness alone is more powerful then we give it credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment