Sunday, August 12, 2012

If Only We Could Diagnose Ignorance!


                 I pay attention to all of the info that pops up on facebook regarding autism. All of the networks post information and stories all day long, including me. Some of it I look at and don’t take it too seriously if I don’t agree and some of it actually makes me a bit ill to know so many people are reading it and taking it to heart.

                Yesterday I came across a post from a facebook page called Reversing Autism and really I am not too fond of the title alone. For the first time I was actually completely offended by a post and had a very hard time holding back a response. The post was a shabby chart with statistics on the rise of autism. I believe it was the state of Texas and showed the rise from the year 2000 to now. Yes the chart showed a huge difference and how quickly the numbers had gone up but the chart was not what offended me. It was this statement above the chart that made me want to respond with a few choice and not so classy words. “This is such an epidemic and the news don’t even mention it!! With these numbers the WHOLE COUNTRY SHOULD BE PANICKING!!!”

                I actually had to read that a couple times to make sure I was reading it correctly. Does this person realize the message they are sending all across facebook to people regarding autism? Do they realize there are autistic adults and teens that see that and wonder why the way they are is a reason for our country to panic?

                This is how that statement translated to me as a mother of a child who has autism gifts.  A woman comes into my home and says she is not going to have kids because she is scared it would end up like mine.  Then I toss her out the front door like rag doll for taking a personal shot at my child.

                Here is what the whole country should be panicking about. Poverty, the disgusting state our economy is in. The fact that we spend more money on prisons then education and it shows. Finding an education plan for a autistic child is extremely hard but I can't say the average American child is getting a decent education either.  A generation of kids being raised not knowing how to communicate because being plugged in is easier. The fact people are more inclined to video tape someone being harmed then to step in and stop madness. Child abuse because children are being treated like unwanted dogs in some homes. Half of our country being on some form of welfare and kids are being raised to believe this is the way to live, because it's easier then doing something with their life.  I could really go on and on about what we should panic about but autism is certainly not one of those things. In fact and maybe I have childish views but I tend to think someone with a form of autism could turn it all around for our country. Sometimes it seems like autism is the only form of logic walking this planet.
               Shame on anyone who creates fear and panic in regard to autism and one more thing comes to mind our country should be panicking about.....ignorance because that is clearly rising faster than any other neurological difference known to man. There is no chart to show us how quickly it has taken hold but if there was a way to have it diagnosed I am more then posative it would blow any other statistic right out of the water.

I

No comments:

Post a Comment