Monday, August 6, 2012

No Autism in the Amish? Lets Think About That....


                 On my facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/ourtriptoparis?ref=hl, I have been posting food awareness and I have many reasons for this. Top reason is knowing what you are putting into your body is extremely important, especially when health care providers do not address this like we need them to when it comes to autism. I am in no way suggesting food causes autism but we don’t know what causes it, so we end up taking our own steps to see what helps or doesn’t help.  The majority of the things I read are based on diet. I feel even if you make a few changes to your daily intake and you don’t see results as far as autism goes, you are still doing your child a huge favor.

                On our adventures with autism I can say there have been many times as a parent I have felt very powerless and if I can find one way to take control and make a huge difference for my family and our health, food is where that begins for me. The steps man has taken to ensure more production as far as food is catastrophic for our health, long term. I used to think people who shouted organic were just angry hippies who doused themselves in too much patchouli and had a case of extreme paranoia. In my ignorance I can admit, I was very wrong.

                A lot of people have the same thought pattern I did and that is thinking it’s not a big deal. Why would things be added to our food supply that will harm us? Produce has to be good for you no matter what.  Whatever they put on or in it must be such a small amount it won’t harm us….right? Wrong, the way I look it is to take a bundle of health food and put it in your blender or whatever way you will eat it. Cut it all up and add those fruits and veggies along with any other ingredient you trust for your daily health. Keep in mind you are going to feed this to your child, if they will eat or drink it. From an autism stand point we are still working on that. Now, imagine someone coming up behind you and giving it a little spray of Round Up or dropping a little mix of steroids and mystery hormones in.  If you actually watched someone put it in your food, would you still serve it to your child? No, because you would never poison your family if you actually watched the process of toxic chemicals being put in or on your food.  Out of sight out of mind is why we have grown into a society that accepts this. The average person can't wrap their mind around toxic chemicals or the genetics of a poison being placed in our food and can harm us. Why would anyone do that and say it's safe? Profit...period. I am not saying these things cause autism but aside from autism there are so many things it could be causing.

                There is a lot of talk about the Amish not having autism and much of that talk goes to the fact they don’t vaccinate. An easy thing to target in the autism community but what I haven’t heard about is the fact the Amish live a very organic lifestyle. They grow their own food and that includes meat that hasn’t been soaked in chemicals for an appealing color.  They grow non GMO food and sell it, which I highly recommend we all start purchasing when we are given the opportunity. The health of our society is unacceptable and if you really pay attention you will see this. Yes, we over consume but we need to consider what we consume also, even what we have been told is healthy is questionable. Personally I think we could all learn a lot from the lifestyle of the Amish and get rid of our out of site out of mind mentality. Maybe these things are out of site and out of mind but they are not proven to be out of our bodies. If you don't believe in the affects change your way of eating to organic and GMO free for one month and you will feel the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment