Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Lesson Learned From A Stranger...An Adorable Stranger.


                The things you don’t see coming are my favorite moments in life by far. Today Phillip and I went to a nearby town to do some work and then to the local fountain at the park to play. Perfect set up for him as there is a fence built around it so no running, or running to far anyway. He hasn’t had a chance to play here and I wanted to see how he would like it. There was a party getting ready to begin for a 4 year old and no one had shown up yet so only a couple kids so far. Looked to me to be an older couple who had adopted some kids with differences and I liked that simply because if Phillip did something a bit different there would be total understanding from them.

                Phillip ran and played and loved the fountain more than I expected him to. Two kids were playing with him or around him. One little boy who was maybe 4 or 5 was very friendly and took to me like he had known me all his life. An adorable little guy and clearly was just born with a good nature to him. He tried desperately to get Phillips attention over and over but the water wouldn’t allow him to break free of his focus. The little boy was getting a bit frustrated with the situation and finally came over and sat down next to me.

                He said to me, “why won’t he listen to me?” I told him it is hard to get his attention sometimes. He swung his little legs and was thinking for a moment and asked “why doesn’t he talk?” I said “He hasn’t figured it out just yet, but he will.” Again he swung his legs deep in thought and watching Phillip run and scream in excitement but ignoring most of the other kids who began to show up. Then the next question came “is there something wrong with him?” and again I responded “no, he just sees the world a little different then you and I do. It’s called autism.” Again he sat swinging his little legs deep in thought or maybe at this point he had run out of questions to ask. Quickly he got is energy back to run in the water again and asked me if I would hold his glasses so they don’t get wet. I smiled and told him to just set them next to me and I would keep them safe.

                This is the moment he took off his very thick glasses and I could see his eyes were severely crossed without them. Off he ran to play and gave up trying to get Phillips attention.  Lesson of the day….no matter what the difference is that we all have, there may be a way to relate one way or another. Our differences aren't always noticeable and we may not understand each other but we just have to sit down, swing our legs, and ask some questions.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment