Sunday, March 10, 2013

I work at home, at school, work, work, and work.


                Once you become familiar with autism and have absorbed yourself in information you start to see things in other children you did not see before. You begin to notice autism traits in well just about everyone you encounter and many people have them even in the smallest form. You just know your child holds a diagnosis because those traits are intensified, sometimes to an extreme.

                Yesterday at the park there were tons of kids and all of them very polite and kind to each other. Kind of a nice change because it’s rare a large group of kids and adults in a public park are pleasant in every way. All of the kids had manners towards each other, were helping each other, and being very careful. For a moment I thought living with hippies was the way to go I was so impressed by this large group of kids. Not only the kids but the adults were the same way and not one single look of judgment that I noticed from anyone. It was a bit shocking compared to some places I have landed with my son to play.

                Into our adventure we wandered over to the boat ramp so we could throw rocks in the water, one of my son’s favorite things to do he could literally do until the rocks are gone. A boy the age of 8 or 9 appeared shortly after we did and was alone. Just the three of us were there and he sparked up conversation with me. The first thing I noticed about his kiddo was his speech was not good for his age and he was repeating everything he said to me with absolutely no eye contact, didn’t even look at me once. He was repeating things that had nothing to do with the question and completely distracted by the environment around him. That was when I decided this young man was wandering and there was a good chance no one knew where he was. He was also running out to the end of the dock and I was very worried he was going to trip and fall into the Puget Sound with only me to pull him out, or lift him out. Autism was on my mind and I knew I needed to stay right there until someone came to round him up. He may not have been autistic at all but he sure seemed to have some strong traits and I did wonder if that was what brought him to the water alone to begin with. I asked him if his mom knew where he was and his response was telling me he works. Works at home works at school, works, works, and works.

                A short time went by and a woman was running top speed down the edge of the park and I knew this was the adult in search of him. He was out at the end of the dock and yes I did tell him he should stay on land buthe wasn’t absorbing my words so I stood prepared to go for a swim if needed. The moment the adult hit the dock to run out to him was the moment everything changed. The sweet boy who was wandering and trying to talk to us, turned into a whole different child. Mom or maybe even big sister seemed to know she could not touch him. He latched onto a cement pole and prepared for battle. Bottom line was he grew angry and immediately which was a complete turnaround that happened instantly. He screamed at her and she tried not to scream back, he pushed and she tried not to push back. Eventually they found their way off the dock but it was an angry and aggressive exchange all the way. Mom or big sister was trying very hard to keep the anger one sided but she appeared to be defeated by the entire situation and she didn’t harm him or I would have spoken up.

                We also wandered back up to the park and at the top of the hill that sweet boy was clinging to a water fountain kicking and screaming. I badly wanted to jump in and help but really not sure what I could have done. He was in that meltdown place that takes time and I know a stranger jumping in can only make it worse.

                The point to this blog is I often wonder if kids are autistic without a parent’s knowledge or maybe they do know and have no idea how to handle things. The aggression comes out and sadly it is returned out of frustration. Then again I could be dead wrong and he may have not been autistic at all, just a very challenging young man with a young mama who was struggling to understand him. Out of breathe from her long run around the park and at a loss for what to do. In the end I was just very glad I didn’t have to get wet as Puget Sound is not a body of water I care to ever jump in to but I was preparing for it regardless because he did not seem to have any kind of understanding there was danger. To distracted by the environment he was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment