Saturday, March 16, 2013

Having control of your mind and senses is something we forget to be grateful for, until your an autism parent.


                Yesterday was full of way ups and way downs and all of us were exhausted from it. I knew this was potentially going to happen after the first appointment at the autism center. You wouldn’t think 3 hours of fun would throw everything off in such a drastic way, but it does. Something that is difficult for others to understand and the reason is the result of the changes happen at home. Only we see what comes from his mind trying to keep up.  I actually try to keep it that way if possible for good reason. It is a exhausting and painful thing to see happen.

                He woke yesterday with a pretty intense energy level and I could see things were building quickly to a hard day. We went to grandpas for a bit because he just loves his grandparent’s house. He did excellent while we were there. Listened to me while we walked around to the neighbor’s homes and he had plenty of room to run and keep running. When it was time to leave he nearly brought me tears of joy, the way up of the day. He grabbed grandpa’s shoes from the hallway and placed them in front of his feet then stood in front of him waiting. It was clear he intended to take his grandpa with him and considering he won’t retrieve his own shoes, this was a very big deal. Grandpa put his shoes on as he was heading outside anyway but what happened next blew my mind. Phillip reached up to him to be held. Also doesn’t seem like a big deal but when you are the only person he does this to, it is a very big deal and I was quietly throwing a huge celebration party in my head! Maybe he didn’t want to leave or maybe he wanted to take grandpa with him but why doesn’t matter as long as he did it.

                We left way up and arrived home to meet the way down. We played in the garage for a bit but when it came time to go into the house he completely lost his self control. The meltdown began and it did not stop for hours. Typically I can place him in the bedroom and it subsides but this one was not going to leave us so quickly. Eventually he allowed me to remove his clothes and he frantically communicated a desire to take a bath. I assume reaching for something to ease him but the bath ended with making things even worse. You see his mind wanted ease but the physical sensory overload was like a freight train collision. We had reached a point I could not touch him at all or his meltdown grew much worse. Even though I know better I tried because you still have that mom in you that wants to find a way to end the struggle. Eventually he lay down on the floor and I had to remain in the room without touching or speaking. If I tried to leave the room it pulled the trigger all over again. Maybe the sound of me moving or even sight of me moving caused a problem but part of it is his desire to feel better and mom is needed. Not moms touch or talk just mom’s presence. I can’t speak for every child with autism but I know when a down like this happens my son is afraid. Whatever is happening that he cannot control on his own is draining and frightening, physically and mentally.

                Eventually we both fell asleep and before I crashed with him I tried to move him onto the bed, but he woke and went right back to the floor in the corner. He woke hours later in a better place but I still had that fear it might surface again. I was not afraid of him but afraid for him during all of this. It’s a process educators and even people close to a child do not understand. I know the routine change and sleep schedule was the main trigger so I knew this was a possibility but many people do not understand with autism the smallest changes can rock an entire world. They don’t understand being overwhelmed is not just mental but physical as well. The mind can’t take one more ounce of processing and the senses seem to go into complete overdrive. The mind crashes and all of those senses that take in sound, smell, sight, and touch are can’t work to get into the mind at an even flow. Patience is the only way out and understanding what is happening can at least provide a bit of security. This is the process that makes some people believe autistic children are bad but the reality of this process is a child is in a battle with themselves. Imagine this feeling and imagine you can’t explain it to anyone around you. Now imagine being punished for it. Having control over our minds and senses is something we forget to be grateful for as we go about life, until your autism parent that is.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment