Friday, November 2, 2012

Updates from past blogs. Lessons learned.


Today I am going to update from earlier blogs. Life changes quickly and sometimes I can look back at a blog and realize just how fast it happens.

                  Authority or Power? They are not the same...

This update is one I tend to be grateful for and lessons learned for more than just me. If you have read this one you know there was some static this day with my older kids school. I was not happy with the authority and the authority was not happy with me but at a football game I saw the receptionist and I didn’t like knowing that her only interaction with me was an angry little woman storming out of the school office. I apologized to her for my actions and felt much better after speaking with her briefly. Even if her opinion stayed the same I gave it my best. The principle and I have also come back to common ground and both admit the day could have gone differently. Peace was restored which brings me to the next update.


The bus warden has been stopped. My son did decide to sit in the seat that was off limits and yes, things did get a bit more heated and difficult. Proud of him for standing up to this person knowing it could go very bad for him. When all was said the done the authority caught wind of the situation and ended it immediately. The bus bully no longer calls the shots and the kids are free to sit as they please. So that being said I have eat the title of the first update because in this case authority was in fact power and used that power to make a lot of kids feel secure and relaxed again. Also to let the bully know they are not actually in charge, an important thing for bullies to be reminded of.


This update is one that I have truly learned a lot from. Yes, the transition was in fact the number one challenge. It was so much of a challenge we have had to back off of potty training and wait a bit longer to try again. Even having to get him comfortable in a diaper again and right now you might be baffled. You see we mastered the sitting still. We mastered understanding the process and we mastered all the steps involved, even staying dry at night. What I could not find a way to battle around was my sons disapproval in regard to the change. He seems to want to use the potty at times but he can not connect the act of doing this with his routine and without very much verbal communication it is an even bigger challenge. He held it so long he put himself in constant pain and soon he didn’t know what to do. He couldn’t connect the potty to his mind but he had in fact connected going in a diaper was not the way. He became stuck in limbo and stuck in a lot of pain. Very hard to explain but for now, we back off and wait as I was told from the start. Patience was the wise word from a friend by the name of Susan and it was the wisest advice I have been given, now taken truly to heart.

That is the updates for now and this week will be spent packing and preparing for a move back to my hometown. A drastic change for all of us and I can only guess will bring some very good stories!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment