Sunday, November 18, 2012

A busy mind...and getting tons of exercise!


               Great visit with Phillips Uncle and cousin this weekend and was nice to see the boys play together, also to get some muscle help to move some furniture in from uncle Tank.  Today we inherited a beautiful piano that matches our dining room set and hopefully when Phillip nails down his ability to pay attention he can take some piano lessons.

                I also did the unthinkable today! I went to Ross without Phillip and it was just me and my daughter who goes off shopping on her own. I had forgotten what it felt like to go into a store, look for things for myself, and not be in hurry. Not to mention not have my family running by trying to keep up with Phillip. Yes I have been given time to do this in the past but we all know if your little ones are in the building your mind is never really on finding much for yourself.  Then I did another unthinkable! I actually bought some things for myself that I took time to pick out. Things I really like and not just things I grabbed on the fly by. It was fantastic to spend a little time with my daughter even if it was short without either one of us having to manage Phillip at the same time. Then again, I missed it a bit and found myself in a hurry when I didn’t need to be. I was even talking to myself out loud because I am constantly talking to him so he will stay with my voice. It’s just the nature of the beast now and boy did I get some funny looks. For once I was getting funny looks for my behavior and not my son’s behavior, and the irony cracks me up.

                Now we are settling down for the evening. My dad is sitting in the dining room helping my oldest son with his math homework and thank God he made a trip over this evening as soon as I called for help. That alone is just an amazing feeling all around. I don’t have to give my son a pep talk and tell him to do his best because help was on the way. Having a math and biology teacher a phone call away is going to be a God sent, literally, to get the kids caught up in a good education system. I knew they were going to struggle a bit so having that support is going to be key for them to have an education they deserve.

                Phillip is running around in his diaper as usual and my daughter finished up making some brownies I intend to dive into later tonight. Dad is kicking back after a nice weekend with his brother who is typically too far away to see for a quick weekend and I am preparing to do some investigating into some old stamps from a book of modern postage stamps printed in 1940. Full of awesome stamps I am excited to find some history on. After the little man falls asleep of course and I stuff my face with some hugs in the form of chocolate.

The days are so busy with constant things to see and do I feel like boredom isn’t even an option anymore. Very different from life two weeks ago when boredom was how the day began and ended. I can’t help but wonder if this change that has made me feel like my brain has things to do is the same way Phillip feels. He has adjusted better than I could have ever imagined he would and maybe busy was exactly what he needed. Routine is good and essential for him but routine also needs ways to keep a mind moving. Exercised might be a better word to use and his busy mind is not just getting the ease of routine but the exercise of never sitting idle for way to long.

A busy mind must keep moving and this boy’s busy mind is doing a whole lot of moving these days, along with a bigger house to keep this little legs moving right along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment