Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Keep this mama going for one more hour!


               Well we are two days into the move and things are going really well. Phillip was more than fantastic on the drive over, which was 9 hours stuck in a car seat. Not one time did he protest the road trip which was awesome because in the van it was just me, him, and two hamsters.  Once we arrived he was excited to explore the house and crashed at my folk’s house with ease. The next day was a bit more of a challenge but still no real complaints from him. Just the slow adjustment of the day that also was pretty easy.

                Thank God for all of the help from family and a good friend of my dad’s unloading the U-haul and my amazing sister-in-law for putting my kitchen together. I was truly at a loss on that one with the size difference but she tackled it with grace. The kids rooms are smaller and at first glance I was afraid they would never fit their things in or be able to organize but that also came together quicker than I expected. The dog broke under the fence only once and seems to be at ease with being in the house with us the majority of her time. I had forgotten what suburbia was like but it’s coming back to me quickly. I look out the windows and all I see is more windows, tall houses, and fast moving world full of robots, who seem to have to force smiles.

                This morning the kids went in to the school to take a quick placement test and will begin school in the morning. I sat there watching the kids walking by and boy was I glad I was not in their shoes. Although from the small amount of kids I watched, I really couldn’t find the clicks like you normally would. They all looked the same to me but we will see how the day goes tomorrow for them. The same system as when I was a kid with basically the same rules but sure not the same scene I saw walking through those halls. I guess twenty years changes things or at least how you see things.

                Then it was on to find some medical attention for my daughter and apparently when you are new in town this is nearly impossible to do. If you carry state insurance no one will see you, even if you carry private as well. The state program over rides the private and good to know because if that is the case the state program will not be missed. That being said it was on to an emergency room as that was the only place that would see her…three hours later, we had care and out the door.

                What I didn’t accomplish was a trip to the autism center but hopefully that will happen tomorrow. I did manage to investigate into the special education program while sitting at the Jr high and was blown away by the programs available to family’s right down to a dads group. I don’t see this dad attending anything like that but the fact it is available is just awesome for dads who would attend. Resource after resource is all I could see and boy the feeling of knowing it is there in every direction is huge and a bit overwhelming. Since Phillip was diagnosed I have been helping him nearly alone at home and yes we have made great progress but knowing it is not entirely up to me all day everyday is just a big weight off my shoulders. What we need is out there and it’s close.

                So for now things are progressing and we are all adjusting to the busy world we have been so far away from for so long. I personally am very happy to near family and the things in life the kids have missed out on. Opportunities they would have never had are now going to available even if they choose not to take them, they are there. My entire family is within driving distance and the big town life is coming back to me slowly. Although I may need a Starbucks intervention soon along with lessons on how order coffee like a local. I tend to get a funny look when they ask me what size and I say…a big one. Apparently that is to direct and I need to learn coffee lingo to order properly. Tempting to walk up to the counter and just say, “keep my eyes open and give it to me in the biggest cup you can find. Flavor is no matter as long as you can keep this mama going for one more hour.”

No comments:

Post a Comment