Sunday, November 4, 2012

Start with kindness...even a small act of it.


                 A lot going on in the world right now and seems a bit overwhelming at times I think for a lot of people. Or if you are on the east coast, extremely overwhelming. We are about to find out who our president will be for the next four years and we all know this has people very much on edge no matter who you support. The world is a crazy place and we are all hanging onto hope for the human race.

                Just before Halloween we stopped at Wal-Mart to find a last min costume for Phillip. By chance I found one that was missing the mask and gloves. Of course I pointed it out to the checker because if you are buying half of a costume you like to think you won’t have to pay full price. The checker told me the only discount offered no matter what is 10% off and that was the limit. Wal-Mart policy was to not give any more than that under any circumstance. I told her it was fine and knew this was a company policy and nothing could be done but she called a manager anyway to just to see what she would say. The manager came over and immediately I could see she had a hard exterior and was no way she was going to budge on the 10%. We started talking and she told me I needed to go back to the costumes and find the rest of the costume which was not an option. I told the employees it wasn’t that big of deal and I was ok with the 10% and I was polite to them. Not their fault they work for a huge greedy corporation who only cares about profit. In fact with the economy the way it is, I have respect for them for even going to work every day at such a rotten place to work.

                Once we settled the manager quickly told the checker to lower the price much lower price than 10% off which surprised the checker. When the manager walked away she told me I must have caught her on a good day. My response was there is no reason to get upset with her. She is just doing her job they way she is told to. That is when the checker told me about a customer from the day before who was trying to receive a discount on a TV. He grew so angry with her over the 10% discount he went on to call her horrible names. Names most people wouldn’t be able to listen to and get up the next day to go to work. It disgusted me to think someone would be so rude and inhuman that another person’s worth in life was ok to trample on over a TV. Stories like this put a dent in my hope for the human race.

                Today I turned on the news and saw the NY marathon runners decided to run anyway even after the mayor canceled it. I suspect trying to keep the hope alive which is nice, but all I could think was they are spending the day running with a huge amount of people not to far away who need some help from people who have the energy run a marathon. Again, a dent in my hope for the human race.

                While you go about your day think about the fact that maybe you are just one person in a huge overwhelming world, you still have the ability to think outside the box. Think about your actions towards others and how you can affect someone in a big way with a small action. Kindness is a great place to start in a world where kindness stands out and people need to feel it from others. Take some time to help someone just because you can even if it means just holding a door and giving someone a smile that needs it. Go just a bit out of your way to do something you would like to see more of in society because for the most part we all have one thing in common. We all want more of this from each other and possibly we want more of it from ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment