Monday, October 22, 2012

Hypersensitive immune system and autism and we are 3 today!

http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/science-news/study-finds-children-autism-have-more-active-adaptive-immune-system

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-multi.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898160/


              Today is Phillips third birthday and we will be spending it trying to gain our strength back from two days of an antibiotic his little body didn’t like. I have learned so much in the past three years and even now I wake up every day with a new lesson coming my way.  I can’t avoid it, he won’t let me and I say that with gratitude and humor at the same time. We aren’t doing anything today but resting and waiting to have a party for him when dad comes home in a week. I can’t let the day go by with nothing so he does have some presents and the old inflatable birthday cake I have used for everyone for years is up and running in the living room.

                I was up last night until 3am researching things I hadn’t come across yet on this autism journey. It seems just when my mind is completely made up in regard to the difference something jumps up and tells me to read more, because I am missing something. I have always stuck very close to my genetic difference idea and even after hours of reading last night I still believe in the genetics of autism. Even when it comes to genetics we do know carrying a gene for something doesn’t always mean it’s going to be an active one. Then I begin to think about what pulled the trigger as you will hear so many scientists say. I haven’t been a huge fan of Autism Speaks because of all the money raised for research and very little being put into resource but being humbled is an important lesson in life we all need to embrace from time to time.

                My son’s immune system is exceptional and rarely is he affected by sickness or any physical problems that could be associated with autism. It has all been neurological to this point which convinced me this is just a genetic difference. This weekend when he was given his first antibiotic ever for a bladder infection he actually did not have I was paying attention. His reaction to the antibiotic was a difficult one from throwing up, fever, chills, swollen lips, swollen throat, and what appeared to be pain in his stomach. The reaction began on the morning of day three and he had taken only two days of this medicine. Why is it a child with an impeccable immune system would be affected so horribly? A foreign substance in his body that kicked his immune system into overdrive and overdrive is what causes the body to go to war with what it doesn’t recognize. A hypersensitive immune reaction and the first time I have witnessed this happen to him, I think.

                We focus so much on genetics and vaccines or at least the general public does, I am now leaning towards genetics and a hypersensitive immune system which also would involve how his body can or can’t process a vaccine. Not one certain vaccine like so many people blame, but all of them. The vaccine process begins at birth and during the first two years of life we are given a strict timeline to get them. For good reason and I would never say not to get vaccines because it is needed to a certain point. Here is where my mind has evolved to in the last couple of days and researching until three am last night. If a child carries the autism gene and is born with a hypersensitive immune system the process of his body going to war with foreign antibodies could begin from day one. Each time receiving a vaccine could certainly have an effect. This would not be vaccines causing autism; this would be autism losing a battle with the process of vaccines. Or for that matter any foreign substance the immune system goes into overdrive to get rid of. If the medical community could find a safe way to test an immune system from birth before giving anything that may kick it in to overdrive, could it possibly keep the safety on that autism trigger?

                Once again this journey has made me change direction in my thinking but not one way or the other, just a new road that seems to make the most sense to me. In fact I am surprised my children didn’t wake up to papers spread all over the house with crazy random facts written all over the walls this morning from my intense desire to learn more last night and having the evidence sleeping peacefully in bed. As much I enjoy being humbled, I really don’t like changing my mind unless I feel 99% confident in why. When it comes to autism 99% percent confidence is kind of a funny statement to me no matter how much I research.  One thing autism has taught me is that I will change my mind to many times to count and I have to be able to accept it.

                At this very moment I have an adorable birthday boy sitting next me with a sour look on his face. He has managed one piece of toast and three big swigs of water to begin what may turn into a birthday to remember. No matter how much I learn, change my mind, and research he still just needs his mama to tell him it’s all going to be ok. I don’t know about you but even I need that to this day in my adult life and the journey continues.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog online a few weeks ago and have been following it ever since. :) Some of the posts you write could be about my son as well, who also just turned 3. I used to think that autism had to be genetic because my husband has twin brothers with autism. But since they haven't been able to determine who will and will not develop autism through any specific testing, we have always believed that genetics played a role, though not entirely responsible. For that reason, we decided not to vaccinate my son just in case.... but he still has autism.

    What I have learned and what I believe (and wow, do I have so much more to learn) is like you said...something pulls the trigger on our kids who have that genetic susceptibility, whether it's a vaccine, too many antibiotics, a fragile immune system, toxins in our food, toxins in the air... maybe all of these things combined? Whatever it is, it's too much for some children to handle, and that's when autism presents.

    In our case, I feel that autism presented itself at birth when I had problems with my delivery and Alex and I were both started on an antibiotic. We feel that's what started all of his gut issues (he never had a formed stool his whole life). But through a very specialized diet we are doing with my son (GAPS), I have learned so much about the gut-brain connection and how the body's "second brain" is in the gut... and for us it has helped immensely. We're finally seeing formed stools for the first time in his life, and along with that came better eye contact and socialization. So seeing these kinds of things firsthand tells me that in some way, autism is medical.

    My son, like yours, is very healthy in every other aspect. He never got sick. He didn't get his first fever until he was 2 and it lasted a day. He's never thrown up. And I've read that a hypersensitive immune system can also be typical of children with autism, just as the other extreme.

    I'm sorry that your son had to go through what he did with the antibiotic. It's unsettling to watch our children at war with their own bodies - all in response to something that was supposed to help them in the first place.

    I have been researching the medical/ immune side of things for a year now and would be happy to send you some of the links I've found useful. Some days I feel like I need a medical degree to understand what I'm reading, but I'm trying to absorb as much as I can.

    Good luck to you, and happy birthday Phillip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on the same page! Good to know I am not the only one who can see this connection and having someone comment on my blog is a blessing to. Was starting to wonder if anyone was out there;) Sounds a bit like I am targeting vaccines but I am not. The immune system is my focus and vaccines from day one are all I have to compare. Knowing more moms are seeing this even without a vaccine but antibiotics to makes it even more clear for me. My opinion has changed so many times on the roller coaster but I think I am sicking with this one. The clues Phillip has given me are just to clear to ignore. Thank you for your thoughts Laura and reading! Easy going birthday full of rest...and trying to turn my brain off.

      Delete