Friday, July 20, 2012

Autism Siblings Are A Powerful Force!

Spoke to my 12 year old daughter this morning, who is on summer vacation across the state. Hearing both of my kids voices on the phone lifts me up every time.
How has autism effected the older siblings? In so many ways good and bad. Phillip has always been a little more work then your typical child, right from the start. Dad works out of state now for months at a time. I am able to manage things on my own but the role my older kids play in my sons life is nothing short of living with two superheros!
It hasn't been easy for the older kids from time to time. Mom having to show up at events for a short time or sometimes not at all. There little brother running in high gear and sometimes not being able to process which attracts a lot of negative attention. Not being able to communicate with him like they would like to, a challenge we all face on a daily basis.
Then there at the times we are all trying to keep up, working together and still as a group, we are all flat out worn out.  I have never forced my older kids to care for their brother because I know just what a challenge it is and they need to be free to just be kids. At times they will step up and help just because they see and live the challenges and really, they just love him and enjoy a short time with him every once in a while.
There was one day we were spending the day in a mall. Shopping is something I don't even know how to do for myself anymore. No time to browse and think about what I like. If I need something it's a fast decision and almost no thinking involved. In fact I have nearly mastered this style of shopping.
This day I asked my oldest to keep an eye on his brother so I could just look for a bit. He understood and even though wasn't on board he knew what it meant to me.
As I browsed I saw a flash of a bright yellow shirt fly across the store. I expected to see a taller version of him right behind, but no luck. I knew if he had this kind of speedy head start I also needed to put my running shoes on and catch up. I bolted after him and finally managed to slow him down, at that time big brother came running up with a look of oops on his face. He couldn't believe how quickly Phillip had just disappeared. A common problem and I could not be upset with my oldest son because I knew all to well how fast it can happen. In a blink of an eye he can vanish and the problem is the only way to find him is getting a visual on him. You can say his name 100 times and he won't respond, a very frightening thought when you loose that visual.
I don't ask my older kids to take on more then they need to, the challenges are to much for kids so young to have to figure out. When they are comfortable with it I will allow it, but when my visual on my older kids tells me it's to much, that's when it's time to step back and let them be kids.
When Phillip was diagnosed as autistic who handled it perfectly and with instant understanding? Even a little humor tossed in to the conversation? His big sister and brother did. They were not surprised and they were the two most understanding forces in life I have ever seen.
At one point the words "there is nothing wrong with him, he's just autistic" came out of their mouths.
Siblings of autism face as many difficulties if not more then parents do and with all that they are an extreme force of love and understanding. My older kids are helping to guide him and giving him an unconditional love that will help carry him through life, even when the challenges hit, they have an understanding I wish I could mass distribute to the rest of the world.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn- You are an amazing woman, I am so proud of the caring person you are and wish there were more people in this world like you raising kids!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I emailed a reply, but still trying to figured out this blogging process. THANK YOU! I may print that and hang it just above my coffee pot, so I read it every morning first thing! A little inspiration to wake up to is an awesome thing=D

      Delete