Friday, May 3, 2013

Bryce is a true hero and inspired me to add a step to our routine.

http://www.puyallup.k12.wa.us/ourdistrict/news/newsdetail.cfm?NID=1422


               The Story above will make you cry and you can count on that and no this young man is not autistic. He is just one amazing boy who I would say got his mom’s heart beating just by being close to her. There is another reason I shared this story and it is a fear of mine that I think about more than I care to.

                I am not afraid of dying like I hear many parents say because they don’t know who will care for their children. I am very blessed and know if something were to happen to me my family would take excellent care of my son. They might struggle like crazy trying to figure him out but he would be loved with patience just as he is now and long term care would be excellent. My fear is if something was to happen to me at home and my son is here with me, what would he do? If I were to have a heart attack or whatever else could happen he does not have the ability to call 911 or get help. He will be 4 in October so he is young but at the same time I am not even sure he would understand why I would not be moving.

                That scares me like crazy and then I worry about if for some reason 911 is called how would he be able to understand any of it without slipping into a meltdown on top of what could be happening. Seems silly to be concerned about that but it’s a legit fear because I have no idea how he would cope with that kind of situation but I know he wouldn’t cope well.  Many kids would see mom or dad on the floor or bed not waking up and they would understand that help is needed. Knowing my child I think he would either sit with me and cry or wander around the house waiting for me to get up.  He would not have the ability to get himself a drink or food and what if for some reason he got out of the house, he would wander away without the speech to tell anyone who he is and what has happened. The thought of something happening to me that is unexpected scares the heck out of me simply because of his lack of understanding and his reliance on me.

                The young man in this story is amazing on every level and in this case both mom and dad were very lucky to have him there, beyond lucky really. His strength saved his moms heart from stopping and gave dad a moment of its going to be ok. None of us know what is coming our way in life and none of us really know how long or short our time will be but I do regularly pray I am here for my son and he does not ever have to face being here for me. At the same time this story stressed the importance in my mind that I need to create to some kind of plan even if it’s to be more diligent about keeping my cell phone close to me. Too often I leave it out of reach and at this point I can’t just tell my son to go get my phone, he simply wouldn’t do it because it’s not part of routine. After reading this story it is something we are going to instill in his life even if it’s just the understanding of getting the phone when I ask because being able to do that could make all the difference in the world if the time ever comes and I hope it never does.

No comments:

Post a Comment