Thursday, May 16, 2013

How fast can a child wander off? Faster than you think.


                Wandering is a nightmare and that nightmare happened to little Mikaela Lynch and her family this week. I will start this blog by saying my thoughts and heartache is with the family and the pain they are going through we can’t even imagine.

                If you follow this blog you know I used to live in Montana on 5 acres in the Kootenai National Forrest. I owned 5 acres but the actual area was endless miles of forest a child could have been lost in. People need to understand how quickly something like this can happen because for this family it happening in the blink of an eye. My home was one story near a river and my neighbors had a pond, two very clear dangers. One day I took my son outside to pull some weeds in the front yard. There was a single car garage attached to my home to give you an idea of distance. I was at one end of the single car garage and my son was just at the corner of the other end. I looked down pulled two weeds and when I looked back he was no longer standing there. I got up and walked towards where he was but when I rounded the corner he was gone. I continued to walk and yelled his name hoping he would stop moving but when I went around the next corner he was nowhere to be seen. My heart stopped and the panic hit. I ran down the back side of the house screaming his name and still could not see him or hear him. I ran across the yard for fear he had decided to run over the neighbor’s pond, something he was always drawn to and still not one glimpse of him.

                At that moment I didn’t know if I should run in the house to get the phone and call 911 or keep screaming. If I went inside I might miss a glimpse of him or some clue as to where he was.  I was scared to death my son had vanished into the woods and I had lost him. The entire event was not even 5 minutes but I knew he would not come back or respond he would just keep going towards whatever it was he was focused on. My voice was nothing compared to the distractions that mountain provided. I froze for a moment and God bless my black lab for walking over to one of our sheds because that was when I noticed the door was cracked just a bit. I ran over and when I opened the door there was my son standing silent spinning a bike tire. He heard me screaming over and over but it didn’t matter because he was fixated on the tire. I was lucky because the dangers that property gave us where endless and if he ever wandered up into that mountain I feared the worst.

                If I can’t see my son I will constantly say “where is Phillip?” to others and it’s not because I am smothering my child or won’t give him space. It’s because if he goes and is focused the dangers are irrelevant. Water is the number one danger for autistic children. Group that with wandering, silence, the desire to investigate and tragedy is a very real fear. Anyone who thinks a child can’t disappear this easily is mistaken. It happens quickly and as quick as looking away to pull two weeds.  Children with autism often focus on one thing at a time with intense interest. If something is in the street that grabs this focus, cars are totally irrelevant. Distance from a parent or sibling is totally irrelevant. Common dangers are totally irrelevant and many times it’s the danger itself that is the focus. In our case fire is a big one because the way fire moves outweighs the heat and its ability to burn my son. The movement of water and how water is never boring to play with outweighs it ability to take a life.

                Anyone who blames or lacks understanding for the pain and heartache Mikaela Lynch’s family is feeling needs to read this. My heart is with them as all of our hearts should be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment