Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Every single day of fighting leads to that very moment!


              Those little moments happen that you wish every single person who knows your child could be there to watch it unfold. That moment you see something happen that literally takes your breath away because you didn’t see it coming, you hoped but you really just hang on to that hope not totally sure when or how the next moment will come. You watch it happen and you feel a surge of joy rush right through you that you don’t want to end, ever. Most parents know this as a moment a child scores the winning goal, gets straight A’s at school, has a talent that shoots them to the top, or they just do something that clearly indicates they are going to excel in life in general.

                It’s a little different around here and although I believe my son will excel, shoot to the top, get good grades, and I haven’t given up the thought he could score a winning goal in whatever sport he enjoys, the moments are different from your typical milestone celebrations.  This morning we had a moment that took my breath away and I had to stand back and watch because I didn’t want to interrupt and possibly have it stop happening. We did our regular morning routine and headed out for the autism center. In the van I talked to him about having fun, working hard, and who he might have for a therapist today. When I do this he never responds and just watches the world go by with no expression or really even a hint he is listening to me, I just assume he is. He has had two therapists lately rotating with him and one he hasn’t seen since last week. He seems to feel about the same way about all of them and just walks in the door and heads up the stairs with whoever follows him. Today that was not the case and what happened blew my mind.

                Phillip walked up to the doors which are glass so he can see inside and all of the therapists were standing and waiting for the kids to arrive. He stopped in front of the door, bent down and looked through the glass and then the biggest smile ever took over his face. I am so used to him not expressing much feeling towards activities like this I was shocked and yes I stepped back to watch. Then we walked in and I assumed whatever had just happened was over and we would be back to business until the therapist he hadn’t seen since last week said hello to him and then the smile came right back to his face and didn’t leave. It was a moment I would relive over and over again because I told his therapist “o my he LOVES you and missed you!” and I wasn’t just saying it because I know he feels it like I have so many times in the past. This time he showed it and I would have given the world for everyone who knows how hard he fights to see it happen. Especially those who stepped away from our lives because they didn’t see that he was in there trying like to hell to get out. A moment like that feels just like the moment your child scores the winning goal in a very important game and this mama did NOT hold back the tears because every single day of fighting leads to that very moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment