Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What has happened to my genetics and why have they changed?

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/04/15/study-autism-has-strong-genetic-link-in-mice?s_cid=rss:study-autism-has-strong-genetic-link-in-mice


                 Above is a recent article released on the cause of autism and every once in a while I do Google it to see what comes up. Not to discover the cause by the way because anyone who has a child with autism knows doing that is like jumping in a pool of sharks covered in chum and expecting to climb out in one piece. It’s completely unrealistic at this point and the information comes at you in every direction. So here is the latest and it points to genetics and mice like so many other articles we see.

                Genetics, a word I have always had an interest in even as a kid. I am adopted and this was made clear to me as far back as I can remember. My appearance was not that of the rest of my family and so many times growing up my ears perked right up at the word genetics because I was always interested in my own. Those tiny or tiny masses of links to who you are and where you come from. How you got your blonde hair, blue eyes, body type, and even personality traits. Often times inherited diseases such addiction or even cancer. I have even learned a thinking style can be linked to genetics because I have a strong stubborn streak very much like my biological brother among other things I have in common with my biological siblings.

                Do I think of genetics when it comes to autism? Yes I do but at the same time I always question why. Why is autism taking on such a strong impact on our genetics and how are so many families carrying this genetic change or mutation we often here it called. It’s not the genetic connection I question it’s the genetic element all together. Ok, we understand there is a genetic factor but there are many families who do not have one hint of autism in the family tree, not one genetic link that is known, until now. Now they have a child or children with autism so the genetic factor must now be there right? Even if we were to say a heavy dose of vaccines triggered the autism gene we still go to that genetic connection that doesn’t exist in the family history.

                I always have this silly mental picture in my head when I read an article that mentions mice with autism behaviors or these genetic changes. I imagine these little mice ignoring each other and running top speed all around their cage. Maybe there are lining up there food or possibly refusing to eat it at all and they don’t like to be touched on a bad day. Mice can’t speak and certainly a mouse with autistic behaviors might not communicate like the rest but if it could I think what the furry little thing would say is “what has happened to my genetics and why did they change?” and there are thousands of people wondering the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment