Friday, June 29, 2012

Is Your Soul Hungry?...Feed It.

 
Let's think about you today and not autism and about what we do for ourselves or what we don't do for ourselves. I used to do a lot of things I just don't do anymore but the one thing that I really miss doing, and I stopped doing it before my youngest was even born, is fishing.

When I lived near the Columbia River, I fished all the time. In fact never went anywhere without a fishing pole in the trunk ready to use. I loved hiking to little hidden lakes away from the busy world, or just throwing a line in the Columbia River. When I moved back to Montana I spent a lot of time just driving around getting to know the area looking for a good fishing hole. Sometimes I was alone and sometimes with the kids.

I really can't say I ever caught anything worth talking about but it wasn't really about catching anything. It was about getting away from my own busy mind and when I was fishing I never really thought about anything. It took the world away from me for a bit and gave me a break from the madness life sometimes gives us, and I had an excessive amount of madness in my life back then.

I really have no idea why I stopped fishing, I just did, and it's silly because I live in a great place for it. Maybe because the madness slowed down and I tend to get very caught up in taking care of the people I love. At some point you have to step back and ask yourself if you are remembering to take care of yourself along the way.

I guess what I am getting at today is if you stop doing things for yourself, no matter how simple it may be, you might get too caught up in your own busy mind. If you never have a short escape from the madness, how do you give all the people you love the best of what you have to offer. Take care of the people you love if that's the way your programmed but don't forget you can only do that to best of your ability if you’re at your best. If you have done everything you can and the people you love are still not OK, decide if the burden you carry for them is worth the weight. If it is, so be it. If it's not, lighten your load.

Never stop feeding your soul, you’re the only one who can give it what it needs and make it thrive and a healthy soul is awesome to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment