Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The beheading of a Teletubbie ruined our afternoon.

   The Ipad has made me a lazy mother and I admit that with shame but it is a fact. My older kids didn't have technology beyond a TV when they were little and I had to teach them verbally everything I wanted them to know. With the Ipad I can buy an app, check it out, hand it to my son and go make banana bread. Lazy mother is the only way to describe what that convenience has done to me and I know I am not the only one.

   The other day I got a taste of reality and what can happen when you put your faith in an app, an Ipad, and the convenience of stepping away to do other things. My sons favorite app and it's an award winning app with a common core educational goal. He loves it, I love it, and it's one of the only apps I actually spent a couple dollars a month on for him to continue progress with.
  
   Agnitus is the name of the app and in between lessons a child can access animated videos like a lot of apps offer. Fun stuff for a four year old until this comes into play. I hear the music and go see exactly what he has accessed and to my surprise he is watching a chainsaw beheading of a Teletubbie and I cannot even shut down the video going back to the app. I have to erase the app completely without regret of course and done quickly. I notice on YouTube this ridiculous video has received almost 200,000 views and I can only hope that is not due to kids ages 2 to 8 enjoying that fabulous app mom purchased so she could go make banana bread.

     

 
 
    I contact the app developer to ensure they understood what was happening with their app.  This was the response I received back from them.

Hello,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and we totally understand your concern.
The issue has already been addressed in our latest version i.e. 2.1.0

Please update the program's current version to the latest version on all the devices. The issue will not recur.
You can also hide the videos by following the below mentioned steps:



1. On the Parent Dashboard, go to Settings

2. Scroll down, under "Animation Videos", you will see "Show Animation Videos"

3. Tap it to "No"


Moreover, it will be helpful for us if you could please share the iOS version as well.
Thank you.

Ansaria
Agnitus Support Team

   Inconvenience was an odd choice of a way to describe this. To me an inconvenience is a frozen app, an app that won't load, charged to many times, or just an app that works poorly. I am not sure the hammer and fire ball to the crotch of a Teletubbie falls into an "inconvenience" category. At least it's doesn't for a 4 year old child but my favorite part of the response was asking me to share the iOS version as well because it would be helpful to them. Because marketing this app is a good idea? I did not update this app I also would highly recommend anyone who has it, to go in and access the animated videos to ensure brutal violence against Teletubbies is not part of your child's day. Now, back to a lot more alert and less lazy parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment